HDMI cables are used to connect TVs, laptops, PCs, Stereos, and more. There are a plethora of HDMI cables available in the market and seemly they offer no quality difference whether a cheap one or expensive one.
Why All HDMI Cables Are The Same?
HDMI cables allow the transmission of sound and pictures through one cable to a large screen like a television. Mostly all HDMI cables have the same function no matter what version you have.
HDMI cables are used to connect media devices with television but the consumer in marketplaces is being perplexed while buying an HDMI cable.
There is a variety of options available there and the fact is that it’s just the branding of the product by the companies the HDMI cables have the same feature no matter what the price of cable is, one should buy such cable according to its need.
Why Should You Use HDMI Cables?
HDMI cables are lightweight and simple to use, it improves the quality of your video and audio quality, the high-speed HDMI cables also consist of an Ethernet facility.
People use HDMI cables for the reason that these are flexible and easier to work with, they provide a much better viewing experience to the viewer, however, the download speed will depend on your internet connection but high-speed HDMI with Ethernet will improve the overall connection.
What Are the Types of HDMI Cable?
HDMI cables are the high-definition multimedia interface translated cables that allow the transformation of images at a full high-definition resolution of 60 frames per second and eight channels of studio-quality audio enable it to enjoy high-quality sound.
Following are some of the types of HDMI cables:
Standard HDMI Cable
This type of HDMI cable is designed for HDTV, cable, and satellite tv to transmit 1080p or 720p video signals with a bandwidth capacity of 5Gbps. This cable is best in the version from 1.0 to 1.2a.
Standard Automotive HDMI cable
This type has a similar feature as the standard HDMI cable. but it is used to connect portable or in-car DVD players and to other devices in an in-car video display.
High speed HDMI cable
This type of cable is designed for 1080p and 4k video and supports 3D and deep colors. It has a bandwidth transfer rate of up to 10Gbps. It is best for HDMI version 1.3 to 1.4a.
High speed automotive HDMI cable
It has the same features as a high-speed HDMI cable, but it is best for the automotive environment.
Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet
It is considered the same as a standard HDMI cable. The difference is that this cable has the additional feature of an HDMI Ethernet channel. The HDMI Ethernet function is only available if both connected devices have HDMI Ethernet channel support.
High speed HDMI cable with Ethernet
A high-speed HDMI cable with Ethernet has a similar performance as a high-speed HDMI cable. But this includes a data channel to network devices, named as HDMI Ethernet channel. The HDMI Ethernet function is only available if both connected devices have HDMI Ethernet channel support.
Premium HDMI cable
This cable is specifically made for a 4k/ultra-HD video display. it includes advanced features like 4k/60Hz, HDR, and a color range including BT2020.
Ultra-high-speed HDMI cable
The latest cable from the series of HDMI cables is an Ultra-high-speed HDMI cable. It is optimized for the HDMI 2.1 version; it includes all the features of other HDMI cables. In addition, it is the only cable with strict specification the support 8k/60fps and 4k/120fps video. The bandwidth of the cable support 48Gbps.
How HDMI Cable Works?
The HDMI cable head is composed of 19 pins, each pin performs a different task. During the data transmission, these pins follow certain rules.
- Pin 1-9 contains 3 TMDS (transition Minimized different signaling) data channels 3 pins per channel, it includes all audio and visual information.
- Pin 10-12 transmit data to the TMDS clock channel.
- Pin 13 is the Consumer electronic control (CES) it sends command and control data connected to the device.
- Pin 14 has a backup effect to use in the future.
- Pin 15-16 is for display data channel they are used for extended display identification channel between devices.
- Pin 17 is a signal shield for Consumer Electronic Control translation and display data channel.
- Pin 18 consists of a +5v power supply.
- Pin 19 is a plug detect, used to monitor power surge and time of unplugging and plugging the cable into the device.
What Tips Should You Consider While Buying HDMI Cables?
Depending on the signal transfer speed, HDMI cables have varying possibilities (bandwidth). Before rushing to the market, search well about what type of cables suits your requirements.
Follow the tips given below while buying HDMI cables:
- Purchase cables that have the correct connectors for your devices.
- Purchase the appropriate cable length. Don’t buy a cable that’s too lengthy, and make sure it’s not too short that you can’t move the components around enough to have a good connection.
- Pay no more than is necessary. A 6-foot HDMI cable should not cost more than $100. The cost of an HDMI cable does not always reflect its quality. Also, don’t buy cables that aren’t of good quality. The cable will operate concerning the other parameters stated if the box has an official certification logo.
Is there a difference between HDMI cable versions?
There is no such a big difference in the HDMI cable the common and similar to each other with over two decades this cable looked the same, but their features and performance changed drastically over time.
Why are there different HDMI cables?
HDMI cables provide various capabilities based on the signal transfer speed which the bandwidth speed in Gbps and the HDMI Version is associated with the cables
In general, not all the HDMI cables are the same from the slowest version to the latest version all HDMI support good results. While there is a difference in standards and speed of these cables it is the technology of the companies who attract the user with their marketing strategies. But a cheaper HDMI cable will also help you to get your job done. However, you should buy Cable according to your need.